Special Education students enjoy a day of bowling

Photo by Marc Mueller on Unsplash

Special AHS students enjoyed a day on the lanes in February.

The Special Education division of Solano County schools hosts field trips and events throughout the year for the students to enjoy and every year students from the Fairfield -Suisun Unified School District (FSUSD) attend. This year marks Armijo’s 26th year attending the Special Ed Bowling event. In addition to students from FSUSD, students from Dixon, Vacaville and Travis also came out, but since they have fewer students, they attended on one day (February 5), while the FSUSD students attended on another (February 12).

Ms. Lynne Lee is the director of many of these events, and has participated for almost 30 years. This year, she and her team hosted the Bowling Day with other Special Education directors, but, due to budget restrictions, this is the first year that the Armijo leadership students were not part of the event.

The event went well for the participants, even those who find the bowling alley less accessible because they created ways for those students to bowl, including ramps and other accommodations. “It’s an easy enough sport for them to do since they aren’t able to do after school sports like some other students,” said Ms. Lee.

Middle schools and high schools attended the event.  Giselle Garcia Ceja went last year as a leadership student helper. She said, “The event is amazing to attend and seeing their joy throughout the event makes your day brighter!”