Sophomore students have job shadowing opportunity

The Inspire: Dreams Move Forward event is a field trip for sophomores only. This career shadowing experience started in 2015 with the Salvation Army and Kroc Center offering students a chance to see what really goes on behind the scenes.

This year it takes place on Friday, February 7. Four schools will take part in this event:  Armijo, Fairfield, Rodriguez, and Public Service Academy (PSA).

Each participant will be shadowing in two businesses. The purpose of this program is to help students decide on a career, introduce new careers, and inspire them to take that career.

“The Dreams Move Forward event can be good for students to see which companies are best for them,” said College and Career adviser Ms. Sandy Anderson.

While it started small, Inspire: Dreams Move Forward now has 300 open spots and is sponsored by 14 companies including Caltime and North Bay. It is organized by the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District (FSUSD). In 2018, however, around 800 sophomores participated, partnered with around 30 companies and seven community organizations.

The event lasts the whole day with a break for lunch, giving the participants lots of valuable information. “It is important for students to participate in this because they can get an idea of a career path that they would like to follow,” said Ms. Anderson. This event is a follow-up to the program offered to eighth graders earlier in the school year. (See https://the-armijo-signal.com/13172/news/beyond/8th-graders-get-inspired/)