A few minutes with the Sophomore Class Secretary, Olivia James-Singh

Kayla Aguarin

Olivia has learned that Leadership can be lots of fun.

Q: Why did you choose to go into student government? When did you start student government? How did you campaign?

A: I decided to get into student government because I feel that I have a lot of ideas that can be beneficial to the student body. I started student government last year when I ran for the position I currently hold. I campaigned on social media and face-to-face outreach, I went around campus and talked to member of the class of 2022 and informed them of my ideas and asked for their ideas and opinions as well.

Q: What is involved in your role? What is your title? Why were you interested in this position?

A: I am the Secretary of the Class of 2022 and the officers and I share equal responsibilities in almost everything we do as a class, but I do play a special part in the organization of meetings. I wasn’t interested in this position specifically because, as I said, there really isn’t any difference in responsibilities between the officers regardless of title but I am so grateful that I did get this position.

Q: Do you plan to continue student government in college?

A: If my college has such opportunities, I do fully intend to be involved in student government at the college level.

Q: Besides student government, what else are you involved with (both at school and outside of school)? What are your hobbies? What do you want to do when you graduate (school plans and career goals)?

A: Besides student government I have other responsibilities in leadership, and outside of school I play soccer and I take piano lessons.

Q: What advice would you give to someone contemplating on getting involved in student government?

A: That the election process is a little extensive, so they need to be serious about wanting to run for office and, if they are elected, the most important thing is what’s best for the class may not be the easiest thing for you, and you have to be willing to put aside your own opinions for the betterment of the class.

Q: Do you have any brothers or sisters (names and ages)? Who are your role models?

A: I have a younger brother, Santiago, who is 14 and will be attending Armijo next year. I also have an older sister, Kayla. She is 21 and will be graduating from Sonoma State in the spring. My role models would have to be all the women in my family; they are so incredibly driven and resilient. Growing up around that has definitely affected my attitude and mentality.

Q: If you could change one thing about Armijo (students, facilities, staff, etc.), what would it be and why?

A: If I could change one thing about Armijo it would be to put in place a schoolwide tutoring program, and by schoolwide I mean that it would cover all the courses we offer, from general ed courses to the highest level IB classes. I think it would really help the students to have more of an educational support system.

Q: What do you plan to do when you graduate? What will you major in? What career do you want to pursue?

A: When I graduate, I plan to go to college either community college or a four-year. I want to study political science and then go to law school. After college I want to practice law for a while before hopefully becoming the attorney general of California and then springboard into politics by becoming a senator.

Q: Anything else you would like to say?

A: I would just like to say to all the current sophomores: In the near future we have some exciting fundraisers planned as well as some activities before Powder Puff in May. Keep a look out for those.