Armijo hosts annual Community Holiday

Photo by Bundo Kim on Unsplash

Eyes will shine on December 20 when children experience a Christmas event.

Community Holiday is an annual Armijo event that’s been going on for about seven years. It brings in homeless and unprivileged children who cannot afford to have a nice Christmas and provides them with holiday cheer. It will be held in the gym on Friday, December 20 from 5 to 8. All Armijo students are invited to help spread the joy.

“It’s fun and really gets you into the Christmas spirit and its nice seeing the kids smile and enjoy their day,” said Crystal Mejia.

For the past five years, Leadership has been working with a group called Teens Helping Teens, a program who has been helping finds kid  in need for 27 years. Teens Helping Teens gets a list of elementary school students from the Fairfield area and allows those students to make wish lists. Those lists are shared with Leadership students who try to purchase those gifts. They then wrap them and place them under the Christmas tree at the Community Holiday event where the children will be able to receive their selected gifts.

The theme for Community Holiday is Winter Wonder. The gym will be divided into fourths with games, activities, sled races, and cookie decorating. There will be food for all participants.

Leadership adviser Mr. Casey Towner said, “It’s one of the best events we put on all year.” It has received positive feedback from people throughout the years. Many people appreciate leadership help throughout the year in the community, and it’s a positive way to bring joy to the kids and teens annually.