Armijo student wins essay contest three years in a row

Victoria shares information about her winning essay.

Victoria Lawson, a senior and International Baccalaureate Diploma candidate, was recently declared the Grand Prize Winner of the Constitution Literacy Advocates’ annual 2019 Constitution Essay Contest.  Lawson said that she probably would not have known about the contest if it weren’t for her Art II teacher, Ms. Maria Geluz, mentioning the contest during class and encouraging students to participate in 2017.

Lawson participated in the contest, which is open to all high school students in Solano County.  Not only did she compete, but she was declared the Grand Prize Winner three straight years, 2017, 2018 and 2019!  Each year, the competition involved hundreds of students.

This year’s essay topic was “Let’s Talk about Free Speech.”  Lawson credits her success to her content, formatting, and following the contest rules.  She addressed the topic, defined key terms, chose a clear position, and explored all aspects of the essay prompt.  Lastly, she always ended her essays on a positive and optimistic note.

In addition to researching and writing excellent essays about the United States Constitution, Lawson is the president of the College and Career Club, president of the Future Medical Professionals Club, president of the Key Club, and vice president of the National Honor Society.

Although she has a full schedule, she plans to participate in Track & Field this year, just as she has for the past three years. In her sophomore year, she was the Monticello Empire League (MEL) Frosh-Sophomore Long Jump Champion and she qualified for the finals in the 100m and 200m sprint.

Lawson said that her experience at Armijo has been great, and she has enjoyed meeting so many great people, developing friendships, and socializing with so many through school events and community volunteer events.  Also, she has enjoyed knowing  the teachers, counselors, coaches, and administrative staff, all of whom have been helpful and caring.

After three very successful contest entries and involvement on many levels, Lawson would encourage other students to “get involved as soon as possible!  The four years go by so quickly. Don’t let one day go by without being engaged in the activities offered at the school.”

While winning the essay contest for the first time, she discovered that she was the only one at Armijo who submitted an essay…and she won!  “I’ll never forget Principal Smith, who attended the award ceremony, when she stated, ‘It only takes one!’  And Principal Smith was correct, it only takes one.  So, get involved and be that one!” Lawson said.

During her free time, she enjoys reading, exercising, and doing art. Lawson is planning on attending a four year university, where she will study biology and then pursue a career in medicine.

If you want to read the winning essay, go to https://the-armijo-signal.com/?p=14024.

Link to 2019 Constitution essay contest information can be located at the following website:

http://www.solanocf.org/Funds/Public/FundView.aspx?hFund=149&hFundCode=1&hFundType=1