Drama Tackles Last Day of School in Fall Performance

Photo by Skitterphoto from Pexels

As Shakespeare has said, “The play’s the thing!”

The play that the theatre program has decided to put on this year is Last Day of School by Ian Mcwethy.
Last Day of School tells the story of rebel student who takes over the announcements and challenges the students to step out of their comfort zones. The rebel student declares that the students do something daring and fearless. The script focuses on the senior class in the play and will showcase the bold choices by the students made on this last day of school.
Try-outs for the play took place on Tuesday, October 8 from 3:30-5:30. Students interested in auditioning chose a time slot and were expected to perform a 1-minute monologue, which was supposed to be memorized. It could be either comedic or dramatic.
According to Ms. Sheena Beeson, drama teacher, the rehearsals will focus on developing the actors and actresses’ acting skills. There will be little focus on costumes as the play is set in a modern day high school, meaning that costumes would consist of students’ everyday attire.
Rehearsals will be all through October and November. The play will be shown on December 6 – 7 and 12-14. Students interested in backstage work for the play are encouraged to attend an Armijo Theatre Productions Meeting during lunch on October 16.