Zoe Barrett – Playing to win

Zoe Barrett, sophomore stand-out on the Armijo varsity volleyball team, started playing at age 8, when her dad encouraged her to pick up the sport. “My dad was my inspiration to play volleyball, especially at a young age” she said.

When she was younger, Barrett also played soccer, but when high school started, she decided to focus all her energy on volleyball. Along with the high school season, she also plays competitively for Club Solano.

“I think I am at my strongest when I am playing the position of a middle blocker and hitter, because my height helps me get high over the net for blocking, and I have trained in that position for a long time,” said Barrett.

The Armijo team had a successful season last year, and they’re expected to do even better. “I think the team will do really well this year, especially because we have some very good players and a strong team bond,” Barrett said. The team is working hard, and a typical practice involves, “Warm ups, passing/serving drills, game play, and going through rotations.”

At practice, Barrett’s main focus is on “running a one sat which is a very quick hit from the middle. The hard part is the timing,” she said.

Even though daily practice is a lot of work, Barrett enjoys putting in the long hours. “My favorite part about practice is hitting and working with my setters, so in the game we can get that great kill.”

As a sophomore, she’s not sure where she wants to go to college or what she wants to study for a career. She said she’d consider playing volleyball in college, though. “It would be fun, but I might only play if the opportunity comes to me.”