Students Explore Club Fair in Safari

October 3, 2016

As Armijo’s 2016 club fair got underway, an energetic and excited energy spread all around and students trickled into the club fair from different areas of the campus. With music playing and enthusiastic leadership students helping to keep up spirit, small crowds slowly gathered at the tables, the club representatives informing the students about their club and its purpose, hoping to entice them to join. Joining clubs is an important part of high school as it allow for you to get involved in the school and community.

“Many former students talk about club experiences from when they were in high school. It’s one of the most memorable things you can do on campus,” Mr. Stoll, a teacher at Armijo, said. “It’s been a lot of fun to walk around and find out about all the interesting clubs.”

Clubs allow students to get involved in the community, pursue their interests, and have something to do with their friends. “It is so important to get involved in clubs in high school because it puts you out there, you meet new people, you learn to network. It’s not like meeting new people in class, it’s a choice, and it’s so much fun,” states Noellemarie Trost, who had been helping out at the Filipino Club table.

It’s a choice, and it’s so much fun.

— Noellemarie Trost

Many students, especially those who have been in high school for a couple years, follow along this same train of thought. “If you’re more involved, you have more experiences,” explained Jade Walker, a junior at Armijo. Kikuye Fuji, a junior in leadership that had been on the mic during the club fair, keeping up the good vibes, says that being a part of clubs gives you somewhere to go.

There had been, however, some qualms about the club fair’s location. Since it was located in the new quad, wind had been blowing dust and papers all over the place, suggesting that it might not have been the best setup. “It’s dusty, eh?” Gus Sievers, a junior at Armijo, said. “There’s too much sand,” Bobby Thornson, another junior, said. “You need sand, but if you have too much you get lost in the sand.”

Overall, the club fair went very well. A good amount of students showed up, learning about and hopefully joining some clubs. “I think it’s a really cool event that helps find clubs that suit the interests and likes of different students,” commented Stefanie Owens, a freshman who recently started at Armijo. Gilberto Nauarro, a junior, said, “I really liked the club fair. I signed up for disc golf.”

The fair offered a wide variety of clubs for students to join to be involved around school and in the community. Hopefully, students took this opportunity to join some clubs that interest them, giving them something to look forward to throughout the eventful year.