Only One Name

Mendez+Velasquez

Joel Bejarano Alanis

Mendez Velasquez

Only Mendez Velasquez was born in Guatemala but he is now a freshman at Armijo High School, a freshman with an unusual first name.

While The Armijo Signal has featured other students who share the same names as each other, Mendez is the only student at Armijo, and possibly the only student in the county, and maybe even the state, with the first name Only. While both of his last names are relatively common, according to HowManyofMe.com, there are fewer than 1,650 people in the entire country with the name Only, and it is likely that only one of those has this Armijo student’s combination of last names.

Although he has the usual classes for freshmen, like biology, math and PE, he also is part of the Woods class, where he is able to use his creative side. While he is relatively quiet and was hesitant to share information with The Armijo Signal, Mendez has developed some strong friendships in his several months at Armijo.

As a name, Only is somewhat unique, but it is a word that is frequently used. When was the last time your first name was used as anything else? Imagine how many times you have used Mendez’s name in your conversations? Perhaps you could use it when you greet him the next time you see him on campus.