Teacher Feature: Mr. Gonzalez Has an Interesting Story

Joel Bejarano Alanis

Mr. Gonzalez prepares others for their future, but he’s got an interesting past.

Mr. Anthony Gonzalez has been teaching at Armijo for four years, but not always in his current position. That position is in JS-1. I teach video production in the Multimedia Academy,” he said. “I am also a football coach.

Before coming to Armijo, Mr. Gonzalez spent some time in the classrooms at Grange Middle School and Fairfield High School in the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District (FSUSD). Outside of the FSUSD, he has also taught at Vanden High School in the Travis District and Silverado Middle School in Napa.

In spite of all of this teaching experience, this was not his first career. “I have been in the photography business, all aspects of photography on school campus e.g. school ID pictures, proms, athletics and even senior portraits,” he said. “I also worked in the television industry, making commercials, and working in the news room, operating microwave and satellite trucks.

With such an exciting career in media, it is hard to imagine why Mr. Gonzalez would change to teaching, but he had his reasons. “I was always on school house sites, with photography and coaching,” he said. “When the 9/11 tragedy occurred, I knew I wanted to try and make a difference in the lives of teens. It’s a calling for me.

It wasn’t a quick transition. He graduated from Pinole Valley High and then spent a year at Contra Costa Junior College before transferring to Chico State. He received his teaching credential at National University.To students who are considering going into teaching, I would tell them to avoid polling the masses of whether it is a good profession. Do not listen to the naysayers. Know that it is not an easy job, but if you know your “WHY” of why you are considering teaching…then persevere and do your thing!

If he could make a change that would affect the campus, it would start with the community support and public perception of Armijo! Our students, faculty and staff are amazing!” he said. “I love Armijo…I’m #ALLIN!”

Then he considered the physical aspect of the facilities. “Sure, new gym, new classroom buildings, centralized staff lounges and maybe even administration buildings, more and better parking options for students.

My family is a blessing. I have the privilege of working with my wife, Mrs. G. We have three adult children and three grandchildren,” he said. “I love hanging out with my family, especially my wife, Ms. G! I love to garden, fish, photography and I really love traveling. I like to chill near water!