College: Females in Focus

Some of the top California colleges and universities can be found in Claremont, a small community in Southern California. We’ve covered a couple of them so far, but that group of colleges includes Pomona College, Claremont McKenna College, Harvey Mudd College and Pitzer College. Another stand-out institution in this group is Scripps College.

According to www.ScrippsCollege.edu, the four-year college was founded by “Ellen Browning Scripps, a reporter, global adventurer, suffragist, businesswoman, and philanthropist—a woman ahead of her time…Ellen Browning Scripps characterized her involvement with Scripps College as her most important work in a rich lifetime of creating opportunities to widen human knowledge. Her words still deeply resonate today: ‘The paramount obligation of a college is to develop in its students the ability to think clearly and independently, and the ability to live confidently, courageously, and hopefully.’”

Scripps holds true to its origins and serves as a college for women, although it shares many of the facilities of the other Claremont Colleges. Almost 100% of its students, 1000+, live on campus, studying in several majors. Sixty-five majors are offered at the college and over a quarter of the students choose to double-major. Like the other colleges in the Claremont community, it is highly selective, with less than 25% of the applicants being accepted.

The campus is on the National Register of Historic Places, according to the website, and the “32-acre campus is widely recognized as one of America’s most beautiful college campuses.” All of this exclusivity and beauty does not come cheap, but many students receive financial aid to easy the monetary burden. The school also offers several internships to prepare students for their future careers.

Scripps is clearly a prestigious college that offers an outstanding education (it is on several “Top College” lists for a variety of reasons) in an awe-inspiring setting. Female students who are in the top of their class who are looking for a beautiful place to further their education should check it out and see what the college has to offer them.