Armijo receives high honors at state ceremony

In one of his last official presentations, Principal Eric Tretten shares some of the positives of Armijo High School.

FSUSD photo

FSUSD photo

Adriana Bernal, Staff writer

Armijo High School is a noble display of excellence in various disciplines. Everywhere from outstanding athletes to diligent students to devoted staff, our campus prides itself in offering a high-quality education. This “Armijo Excellence” was honored at the Gold Ribbon Ceremony on Wednesday, May 31, where Armijo High School was named as a 2017 Gold Ribbon School by the California Department of Education. The ceremony took place on the football field, with the audience made up of various classes watching in the stands. Armijo High was recognized for its implementation of exceptional educational programs and practices. These programs and practices have positively impacted the academic performance of the school, which is why Armijo has been given this prestigious award.

To get an idea of how significant this honor is, it is important to know that only 6,000 schools in the State of California were even eligible to apply for this award. That number itself is quite a large number. Of those 6,000 eligible, only 275 in the state are selected to receive this special honor, and Armijo was selected as one of the recipients. In Solano County, a total of 6 schools were recognized as California Gold Ribbon schools.

During the ceremony, many congratulated the Armijo staff for their dedication to providing a quality education for the students. Mr. Joe Klapper, Armijo’s Social Science Department head, addressed the audience by saying, “Providing coaching and support for our fellow teachers in a positive manner does nothing but help our students’ successes on this campus.”

Much of the applause was given to the Armijo students themselves. On behalf of the FSUSD Governing Board, Judi Honeychurch congratulated Armijo students by stating, “Most importantly, this award recognizes Armijo Students’ perseverance and commitment to your education.”

It is an outstanding honor to have Armijo High School recognized as a 2017 California Gold Ribbon School, and it is validation that hard work with collaboration really does pay off. To all Armijo students and staff, keep showing off that Armijo Excellence!