Class of 2017 Valedictorians

Name a more iconic duo

Royce Guo, Clubs Editor

Not one, but two valedictorians will be the representatives of the class of 2017’s top students. The valedictorians of a graduating class have the highest grade point average (GPA) and the honors of this year’s class are held by two deserving students, Justin Less and Andrew Zheng. Both students take part in the demanding International Baccalaureate (IB) program.

Less was relieved to finally hear about the result of his achievements: “The hard work and late nights that I put in have finally paid off. I knew it was official when I saw it said class rank #1 on a transcript I printed out after Christmas break. ” Over his four years, Less has played Armijo soccer in 9th and 10th grade and played Armijo baseball from 10th to 12th grade. Throughout high school Less has been a part of National Honors Society, Academic Decathlon, Andrew’s Bookshelf, and Model UN. He has worked for the Fairfield-Suisun Produce Pipeline as well.

Less said that he was happy to share the spotlight with someone who was equally qualified. He said that his IB Math HL I class was his most difficult, and he always turns to his role models and family for guidance, which include Derek Carr, his grandfather, brothers, and most of all, his dad.

Outside of school, Less spent his free time playing video games and watching movies. When asked about his speech, Less said, “It most likely will center on taking the senior class of 2017 on a trip down memory lane, reminiscing on the friendships and relationships made along the way. It’ll be the last time I’ll be a student at Armijo, and probably the last time I will see many of my friends ever again.” If he could change anything about Armijo, Less would want a wider variety of classes to choose from including Higher Level IB philosophy and IB economics. Less plans on attending Santa Clara University in the fall.

Zheng said, “whenever I needed my transcript to be printed at the office they would comment on my ‘rank one’ position, so I’m happy I finally made it. I am honored to share the spotlight with Justin Less; we both worked hard to be in this position.” Zheng also said that determination and passion to become accomplished helped him overcome his challenges, including sacrificing some socializing to do work.

He has done extracurriculars ranging from Future Medical Professionals, Model UN, Academic Decathlon, National Honor Society, Journalism, Varsity Tennis and Marching Band at school to 4-H SET and Fairfield Youth Commission out in the community. During his summers, Zheng attended science camps at Duke University and UC Davis and undertook amyloid vascular disease research at UCSF. He plans on attending the University of Pennsylvania in the fall and then going to medical school after four years. His current career goal is becoming a dermatologist and eventually having a governmental position to reform health care.

When asked about the details of the speech, Zheng said, “It’s going to be humorous yet touching.” Zheng’s hobbies include eating out and socializing with friends, expeditioning across terrains, traveling to foreign countries, boating, going to concerts, watching romcoms, and snowboarding. Zheng is an only child and his role models extend from his parents to Dr. Miami, Justin Trudeau, and James Franco. When asked about what he would change at Armijo, Zheng said, “Armijo has been an amazing high school experience, but I did find school spirit and decor to be lacking at times. Students should be more engaged in school activities and guided to build the Armijo name, whether it be academically or athletically, to have a gratifying time overall.” Zheng said that he will never forget the amazing people he met since he was a freshman. “The way my fellow classmates and friends developed throughout the years just makes me extremely proud,” Zheng said, “I cannot wait to graduate with the seniors on the same field!”

The Class of 2017 is privileged to be represented by these exemplary students, and we hope for the best for these students and their future accomplishments.