Editor of the Month- Beyond the Gates

Ashley de Groot, Beyond the Gates Editor

Hello readers! My name is Ashley de Groot, and I’m currently the Beyond the Gates Editor for the Armijo Signal. So every month, we have an editor tell our readers a bit about themselves and explain how they get into editing, and as you can tell, it’s my month!

My love of journalism first began with my parents, who, starting when we still lived in Canada, made it a habit to read books with me just before my bedtime- a tradition which we continued until I was about 8 years old. It was thanks to them that I really got into literature, thus causing me to discover my love for writing. Combined with a family who is extremely passionate about politics, I soon became very interested in the news, and have vivid memories of trying to read the San Francisco Chronicle during brunch at my grandparents’ house.

Funny enough, it wasn’t my love for politics and literature that led me to join the Armijo Signal, but my desperation to find an easy extracurricular to put on college applications. At the time, I had no idea that I would come to enjoy writing and editing (even though it is far more difficult than I had originally anticipated!), so much so that I hope to pursue this hobby as an actual job some day.

Now comes the part where I tell you about my non-school life, which, to be honest, isn’t super exciting (thanks IB). But, with what little spare time that I do have, you can usually find me baking amid a cloud of flour, at the theater, or deeply absorbed in a book (often times drinking a cup of tea). I also adore everything retro and vintage, including music, movies, and fashion. So if you ever see a girl on campus, who looks like a wanna be retro girl carrying a book- that’s me! And although I have some serious RBF, I’m actually pretty friendly, so feel free to smile, wave, or even strike up a conversation- you’ll make my day!