Student of the Year

Nearly at the finish line

Every year, the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District (FSUSD) honors one student from every school. Each month, a handful of students in different grades are brought before the school board to be recognized and honored for their achievements. In May, it was Armijo’s turn. It is an organized process where the different departments select nominees, and those are narrowed down to the most outstanding student based on a variety of categories. Grades count, but it is also necessary to be involved on campus and to leave an impression.

Luis Grijalva said that he was surprised when he was named Armijo’s Student of the Year. “I never thought that, out of the whole school, I would be the student of the year,” he said. “I felt very happy and very grateful.”

Grijalva is best known for his achievements in track and cross-country and he has set several records. He’s run a mile in 4:05, two miles in 8:45 and three miles in 13:58. He was first place in the California State Cross Country championships and in the Mt. Sac Invitational. And it is not enough for him to be fast on his feet. There’s more to Grijalva than that. “I like mountain biking, hanging out with friends and family,” he said.

In May, Grijalva signed with Northern Arizona University in a public ceremony, with the intention of running on the school’s track and cross-country teams. While he is continuing with his education, he would like to see others at Armijo continue to run as well. “Join a sport you really love and enjoy doing,” he said. “Always work hard and the outcome will show.” His own role models are his coaches and distance runner Mo Farah.

If he could improve Armijo in any way, he said that he would “change some of our facilities because they are really old.” He also said that it would be good to have more sports related facilities.

When he graduates, he said, what he’ll miss the most is the people on campus, including his friends and teachers. But he knew he wouldn’t be at Armijo forever. Like always, he has to run!