Club Corner: College and Career Club

May 1, 2017

“You can never be too young to start planning your future after high school,” said Semhar Teklu, College and Career Club president, “In fact, the earlier you plan and get started, the easier time you’ll have with executing your plan.” For the sixty plus members of College and Career Club, preparing for their futures is not only a mission, but a journey.

The mission of College and Career Club is to educate Armijo students on the college application process and to inform students on a variety of career options. Informative and educational opportunities prepare students for a successful academic future.

Co-advisor Ms. Anderson said, “Our club grows with outstanding leaders such as Semhar and her fellow officers and it’s a joy to see students learn about the college and career planning process.”

In College and Career Club, members hear presentations from college representatives and career speakers, venture on field trips to colleges such as UC Berkeley and UC Santa Cruz, learn about how to pay for college, and do fun activities together.

My favorite part of the club is definitely the fun field trips

— Joshua Smith

In their most recent field trip, the College and Career club visited the UC Berkeley campus. Teklu said, “Our co-advisor, Mrs. Cerda, connected the club with a UCB student named Elena, who was an Armijo graduate. She gave us a tour of the co-ops, or housing for UCB students at a significantly lower price. I was so happy that the club was given insight on this way of living.”

I am more prepared for my upcoming senior year than ever thanks to what I learned from College and Career Club.

During the field trip, the club was guided by student tour guides and learned about UC Berkeley culture, history, and customs. Club officer Janelle Magaling said, “We explored the main part of campus and passed by the popular Campanile clock tower as well as the peaceful memorial glade. It was an eventful day filled with a lot of walking!”

Member Mia Castro said, “College and Career Club has shown me that there are so many diverse and interesting pathways for college and beyond.” In addition to bringing members to college field trips, Armijo students are given the chance to hear from a broad range of experts in the field.

Most recently, Mrs. Gorwood, a retired female police sergeant spoke about her experience in the police force at College and Career Club. Junior Jade Walker said, “Hearing her talk was very insightful. It showed me a new perspective on the importance of college to police work.”

Another guest speaker, Dr. Kolasa, spoke about his experience in the military as a doctor and his background. Teklu said, “It was fascinating to hear about his education in electrical engineering as well as cardiology with a specialization in electrophysiology.”

“If you want to get first hand information about high school outreach programs, internships, volunteer opportunities, and job opportunities, there is no better place to be,” said club president Teklu, “I will be eternally grateful for the club and everyone involved with it. I am excited to see what great things this club will do in the future.”

This is the best way to find out how to plan for your future and have fun doing it.

— Ms. Anderson